The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Sexually Transmitted Infections
June 27, 2022 (Issue: 1653)This article includes recommendations for management of most sexually transmitted infections (STIs) other than HIV and viral hepatitis. Some of the indications and dosages recommended here have not been approved by the FDA (see Table 1).
- CDC. Expedited partner therapy. April 19, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3t56AcK. Accessed June 7, 2022.
- KA Workowski et al. Sexually transmitted infections treatment guidelines, 2021. MMWR Recomm Rep 2021; 70:1.
- NHTM Dukers-Muijrers et al. Treatment effectiveness of azithromycin and doxycycline in uncomplicated rectal and vaginal Chlamydia trachomatis infections in women: a multicenter observational study (FemCure). Clin Infect Dis 2019; 69:1946.
- JC Dombrowski et al. Doxycycline versus azithromycin for the treatment of rectal chlamydia in men who have sex with men: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 73:824.
- S Kohlhoff et al. Universal prenatal screening and testing and Chlamydia trachomatis conjunctivitis in infants. Sex Transm Dis 2021; 48:e122.
- BP Stoner and SE Cohen. Lymphogranuloma venereum 2015: clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61(Suppl 8):S865.
- R Simons et al. Observed treatment responses to short-course doxycycline therapy for rectal lymphogranuloma venereum in men who have sex with men. Sex Transm Dis 2018; 45:406.
- LH Bachmann et al. Advances in the understanding and treatment of male urethritis. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61(Suppl 8):S763.
- D Getman et al. Mycoplasma genitalium prevalence, coinfection, and macrolide antibiotic resistance frequency in a multicenter clinical study cohort in the United States. J Clin Microbiol 2016; 54:2278.
- In brief: New recommendations for gonococcal infection. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:72.
- A Derbie et al. Azithromycin resistant gonococci: a literature review. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2020; 9:138.
- R Selb et al. Markedly decreasing azithromycin susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Germany, 2014 to 2021. Euro Surveill 2021;26(31):2100616.
- KE Gieseker et al. Demographic and epidemiological characteristics associated with reduced antimicrobial susceptibility to Neisseria gonorrhoeae in the United States, strengthening the US response to resistant gonorrhea, 2018 to 2019. Sex Transm Dis 2021; 48(12S):S118.
- CDC. Gonococcal isolate surveillance project (GISP) profiles, 2019. July 29, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3x0jv25. Accessed June 7, 2022.
- S St Cyr et al. Update to CDC’s treatment guidelines for gonococcal infection, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020; 69:1911.
- CDC. Guidance on the use of expedited partner therapy in the treatment of gonorrhea. August 18, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3Gy7154. Accessed June 7, 2022.
- M Struyve et al. Primary syphilitic proctitis: case report and literature review. Acta Gastroenterol Belg 2018; 81:430.
- CA Munzny et al. A comparison of single-dose versus multidose metronidazole by select clinical factors for the treatment of Trichomonas vaginalis in women. Sex Transm Dis 2022; 49:231.
- PJ Kissinger et al. Diagnosis and management of Trichomonas vaginalis: summary of evidence reviewed for the 2021 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sexually transmitted infections treatment guidelines. Clin Infect Dis 2022; 74(Suppl_2):S152.
- C Alessio and P Nyirjesy. Management of resistant trichomoniasis. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2019; 21:31.
- J-P Visapää et al. Lack of disulfiram-like reaction with metronidazole and ethanol. Ann Pharmacother 2002; 36:971.
- OT Van Gerwen et al. Trichomoniasis and adverse birth outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJOG 2021; 128:1907.
- DA Lewis. Epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis and treatment of Haemophilus ducreyi – a disappearing pathogen? Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2014; 12:687.
- HC Wiesenfeld et al. A randomized controlled trial of ceftriaxone and doxycycline, with or without metronidazole, for the treatment of acute pelvic inflammatory disease. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 72:1181.
- A Wald et al. Comparative efficacy of famciclovir and valacyclovir for suppression of recurrent genital herpes and viral shedding. Sex Transm Dis 2006; 33:529.
- L Corey et al. Once-daily valacyclovir to reduce the risk of transmission of genital herpes. N Engl J Med 2004; 350:11.
- B Pasternak and A Hviid. Use of acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir in the first trimester of pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. JAMA 2010; 304:859.
- KA Ahrens et al. Antiherpetic medication use and the risk of gastroschisis: findings from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study, 1997–2007. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2013; 27:340.
- Veregen: a botanical for treatment of genital warts. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:15.
- Y Panahi et al. The efficacy of topical and oral ivermectin in the treatment of human scabies. Ann Parasitol 2015; 61:11.
- IM El-Ashmawy et al. Teratogenic and cytogenetic effects of ivermectin and its interaction with P-glycoprotein inhibitor. Res Vet Sci 2011; 90:116.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.