1. NJ Stone et al. 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013 November 7 (epub).
2. PM Ridker and PW Wilson. A trial-based approach to statin guidelines. JAMA 2013; 310:1123.
3. Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ (CTT) Collaboration. Efficacy and safety of more intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol: a meta-analysis of data from 170,000 participants in 26 randomised trials. Lancet 2010; 376:1670.
4. SEARCH Collaborative Group. Intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol with 80 mg versus 20 mg simvastatin daily in 12,064 survivors of myocardial infarction: a double-blind randomised trial. Lancet 2010; 376:1658.
5. FDA drug safety communication: new restrictions, contraindications, and dose limitations to Zocor (simvastatin) to reduce the risk of muscle injury. Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed December 4, 2013.
6. MJ Tikkanen et al. Effect of intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin on cardiovascular outcomes in coronary heart disease patients with mild-to-moderate baseline elevations in alanine aminotransferase levels. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168:3846.
7. N Sattar et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet 2010; 375:735.
8. D Preiss et al. Risk of incident diabetes with intensive-dose compared with moderate-dose statin therapy: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2011; 305:2556.
9. D Gaist et al. Statins and risk of polyneuropathy: a case-control study. Neurology 2002; 58:1333.
10. Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44.
11. Pitavastatin (Livalo) – the seventh statin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:57.
12. Drugs for hypertriglyceridemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:17.
13. L Tenkanen et al. Gemfibrozil in the treatment of dyslipidemia: an 18-year mortality follow-up of the Helsinki Heart Study. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:743.
14. ACCORD Study Group. Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1563.
15. Fenofibric acid (Trilipix). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:33.
16. AB Goldfine et al. Fibrates in the treatment of dyslipidemias – time for a reassessment. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:481.
17. E Bruckert et al. Meta-analysis of the effect of nicotinic acid alone or in combination on cardiovascular events and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2010; 210:353.
18. What about niacin? Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:93.
19. Fish oil supplements. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:83.
20. Risk and Prevention Study Collaborative Group. N-3 fatty acids in patients with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1800.
21. SM Kwak et al. Efficacy of omega-3 fatty acid supplements (eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid) in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:686.
22. Icosapent ethyl (Vascepa) for severe hypertriglyceridemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:33.
23. Two new drugs for homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:25.